Birkbeck Politics Society
*Week 7 update: Given several other recent deadlines, we have decided to extend the submission deadline until Monday 18th March. Please send your submissions to email@example.com
Those who submit by the extended deadline will receive feedback by the end of April.
Many thanks to those of you who have already submitted articles. You will receive feedback by Monday 18th March.
The magazine will then be printed in April!*
We encourage new members to both join via the SU website AND send your name to the email address below.
If you'd just like to be added to the mailing list, please send your name and email address to firstname.lastname@example.org
About the society
New, official email address: email@example.com
The Birkbeck Politics Society was founded in the summer of 2018 by postgraduate students of Politics.
In its first year the Society aims to publish at least one issue of a magazine, host a public lecture or debate, and organise a couple of socials each term.
Whatever your subject, politics, or experience, do come along and get involved. For further information about how to get involved, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
You might be interested in the Society if:
About the magazine
- Vision statement: A quality periodical offering political reportage and commentary, with a particular focus on issues of pertinence to Birkbeck students.
- The themes of the magazine are politics (understood in a broad sense), economics, culture, and student life.
- The magazine, like Birkbeck Politics Society itself, is not affiliated with a political party
- We're looking to attract articles of between 500-800 words or 1200-1500 words in length.
- Most articles will be in the form of an essay, interview, or review. But if you have anything a little bit more offbeat in mind, do submit it!
- Submissions should be saved in a Word document and emailed to email@example.com by Monday 25th February. Please include your name and the course you are studying.
Spring term schedule, 2018/9
Join us from 7pm on Friday 8th February for an informal social at The Harrison, a very decent pub 10 minutes' walk from Birkbeck (and 5 minutes' walk from Kings Cross station).
This will be a good opportunity to get to know new people and have a natter about politics.
Venue address: The Harrison, 28 Harrison Street, WC1H 8JF
On the map: https://goo.gl/maps/o3YWmfLzSwC2
For those of you who are interested in writing for the magazine, this will be an ideal occasion to talk through your ideas.
The event will run until at least 10pm, possibly later.
Just to clarify, not everyone will be drinking pints... Please feel welcome to come along whether or not you drink alcohol.
Provisional summer term schedule
Click here to view terms and conditions
Birkbeck Students' Union groups are only open to full membership for enrolled Birkbeck students. Other membership categories may exist depending on the group's constitution and the approval of the SU's Executive Committee.
In additional to the general term and conditions for Birkbeck Students' Union organised and managed events, all our Clubs, Societies, Networks and Projects may apply additonal conditions on attendance. Examples can be, and not limited to, membership of a club or society, students from one programme or class, self-organised groups and liberation campaigns limited to participants on a self-defining basis into the group membership (e.g. LGBTQ+ students or women only).
All attendees at an event must register in advance and ensure they bring along a copy of their e-ticket and their Birkbeck student ID.