Tuesday 07-01-2020 - 16:04
Did you know that the Students' Union (SU) is run and lead by students, for students?
Since your Student Leader, Alex Holmes, was elected last spring, he’s been consulting students on how we can make democracy more inclusive, here at Birkbeck Students’ Union. This means making it easier for you to use your power as a student to shape your Student’s Union and your university.
Last month, Student Council and the Board of Trustees agreed to the final proposals of Alex’s democracy review, based on feedback from students, on how Birkbeck Students’ Union can be run even better.
Here are the key changes and improvements
- A new expanded and reshaped clubs and societies committee, run by students from clubs and societies and led by a directly elected Clubs and Societies Officer.
- Introducing a new paid Trans Students’ Officer role, along with a trans students’ liberation committee, joining our four existing liberation officers and liberation committees.
- A refocused student council, with new elected roles, such as Welfare and Community Officer, International Students’ Officer and Research Students Officer.
- Expanding our Executive Committee, which makes key decisions about what we do, so it is double the size, composed of elected students each representing groups of students underrepresented in the Students’ Union, such as international and postgrad students.
- New limits on the use of proxy voting at Student Council, to make Student Council fairer and more able to hold your officers to account. Each person can have a maximum of 2 proxies.
Alex really wants to hear from you about how we can make Birkbeck Students’ Union even better. If you wish to contact Alex with any feedback or questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org