You love the outdoors and want to explore the most beautiful places in the UK with a bunch of young and friendly people? You found the right place!
We are the University of London Mountaineering Club
aka. ULMC – hosted by Birkbeck
Our activities in general include trad climbing, sports climbing, bouldering, scrambling, hiking, mountaineering, and Alpine mountaineering.
We run monthly trips (often with professional guides), climbing days, socials, and a regular Wednesday evening climb at Westway from 5PM.
The highlights every year are our winter mountaineering trip to Scotland the summer meet in the Alps – if that sounds like something you would enjoy, get in touch and come along for a climb!
JOIN OUR WHATSAPP CHAT FOR NEW MEMBERS:
FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM:
AND FACEBOOK (not very active):
When and Where We Meet
Drop us a message if you're unsure how to find us!
Beginners welcome, no skills needed, we can show you the ropes!
- Regular socials: Slacklining, karaoke, pub crawls, picnics in the park- there's something for everyone!
- Day walks and climbs in various locations, just a short train journey out of London.
- Weekend trips outside of London roughly once a month. This includes trad climbing, sport climbing, bouldering and/or hiking.
You must be a member to come on trips. Cost is ~£50 which covers food, accommodation, and transport for the weekend - BARGAIN! We also hire guides for beginner courses - so a great opportunity if you want to try outdoor climbing for the first time.
- Big summer trip to the Alps, with glacier mountaineering courses, multipitch climbing and alpine scrambling.
- Winter trip to Scotland - we hire a guide and stay for a week to do some winter walking and mountaineering.
What you get when you join and pay membership:
Access to go on all of our trips, socials and any other events, free use of our equipment (climbing gear, camping equipment) and club huts at discounted rates!
- BMC insurance (great value for money)
- Friends for life <3
- Turn up to one of our Westway sessions or socials (DM us for more info and follow us on Instagram and Facebook)
- Buy membership below (students and recent graduates form all unis are welcome!)
We charge a membership fee to help fund the group's activity. This is heavily subsidised by Students' Union funding, as we continue to make extra-curricular activity at Birkbeck as accessible as possible - as it should be! If you are a student from another UoL instution, a Birkbeck alumni, staff member or guest, we ask you contribute a slightly larger amount to ensure a fair and transparent deal for Birkbeck students, and to keep groups affordable and sustainable.
We can't wait to meet you and start the year off right!